The following information will facilitate your progression through the Saint Louis University's MSN-NP and Post-Master's NP Certificate programs.
We also encourage you to refer to the student handbook for these programs. Please note that general student rules and regulations in place at Saint Louis University apply unless superseded by policies of the School of Nursing.
Orientation and Residency
The following orientation video will introduce you to the MSN-NP and Post-MSN Certificate programs and cover many requirements. Please note that this video will play in Tegrity. You will need to log in with your SLU Net ID and password to view Tegrity recordings.
For more information regarding our residency requirement please view this video.
Please also review our preceptor requirements, clinical requirements and make sure to acquire your SLU student ID badge, which will serve as your photo ID.
Tuition and Additional Costs
For information regarding the upcoming academic year’s tuition rate, fees and financial aid, please visit SLU Financial Services.
All students in the MSN-NP and Post-Master's Certificate program have the following additional costs:
- Testing costs by Proctor U- Approximately $230 – payment by student is due when exams are scheduled.
- Software for Typhon (patient visit documentation) $75 - This is a one-time fee due when you register for the first clinical course.
- CastleBranch Registration - $35
Use of the following software is required for this program:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- VLC Media Player
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Flash Player
Use of Microsoft Office is preferred. You may also take advantage of free bibliography and antivirus software available through SLU.
There may also be times when your instructors need to hold a live videoconference using Fuze software.
For additional computer/technology requirements please visit our Essential Information page and click the technology tab.
SLU's nurse practitioner students are required to use an electronic log system and are responsible for paying fees associated with the purchase of this log.
SLU's nurse practitioner students are required to use an online test proctoring service for taking exams in NURS 517, NURS 508, NURS 511, and the Advanced Clinical Studies classes. Students are responsible for paying fees associated with the use of this service.
Proctor U will be used to assure your identity and the security of the exam. A webcam is required. A webcam installed in a laptop computer may be adequate. You will also need a headset with microphone built in or phone ear buds with a microphone built in.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Practitioner degree and Post Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Practitioner Certificate programs are educated to:
- Implement collaborative strategies to provide ethical, high quality, safe, cost-effective, patient-centered care.
- Use scholarly inquiry including evidence-based practice and research application to improve decision-making and health outcomes.
- Integrate advanced competencies, skills, theories, and cultural sensitivity in relationships with patients and professionals.
- Provide quality care to achieve measurable, effective patient outcomes across transitions and throughout the health-illness continuum.
- Facilitate the improvement of health care through leadership within health care systems and communities.
- Demonstrate competence for full practice authority in a specialized area as an advanced practice nurse.
- Utilize health care informatics and technologies to support and enhance practice.
- Analyze ethical, legal and social factors influencing policy development to advance population health, improve patient outcomes and promote the profession of nursing.
- Demonstrate commitment to lifelong learning, and exhibit integrity and professionalism as advanced practice nurse in the clinical setting and within the inter-professional team.