Theological Studies (minor) (Madrid)
The study of theology seeks to understand the interrelationship of God with humanity. It is concerned with basic life questions of the past and present and trains students to evaluate and appreciate the most valuable and vital aspects of religious experience and thought.
Through SLU-Madrid’s minor in theological studies, you’ll enter into this investigation from an academic perspective with the aim of helping you clarify your own understanding. Saint Louis University approaches this study from the Christian Catholic tradition while respecting other religious traditions.
Minor in Theological Studies
SLU-Madrid’s minor in theological studies requires students to complete 18 hours of coursework that meet the following requirements:
- THEO 1000: Theological Foundations (three credit hours)
- Two theology courses at the 2000-level, for example:
· THEO 2110: Old Testament
· THEO 2210: New Testament
· THEO 2330: The Christian Church Since 1500
· THEO 2425: God in Human Experience
· THEO 2430: Jesus and Salvation
· THEO 2515: Social Justice
· THEO 2715: Jerusalem – Three Faiths, One City
· THEO 2720: Islam – Religion and Culture
· THEO 2725: The Qu’ran and the Bible
- One theology course at the 3000-level, for example:
· THEO 3110: Pentateuch
· THEO 3115: Old Testament – Prophets
· THEO 3130: Ancient Israel and the Near East
· THEO 3220: Archaeology and the Bible
· THEO 3420: Women and God – Feminist Theology
· THEO 3730: Jewish Life: Bible to Middle Ages
· THEO 3745: Jesus in the Qu’ran
· THEO 3930: Theology and the Visual Arts
- One theology course at the 4000-level. A 3000-level course may be taken at the 4000 level with instructor permission and guidance.
- One additional 3000- or 4000-level theology course
A minor in theological studies complements degrees in a variety of fields, including languages and literature, social work, medicine, law or politics.
SLU-Madrid is committed to providing quality Jesuit education at an affordable price. Tuition rates at the Madrid Campus are approximately 40 percent lower than comparable private universities in the U.S.
If you have questions or would like to speak with a financial aid officer, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply to minor in theological studies at Saint Louis University, you must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and complete a declaration of major/minor form, available in the Madrid Office of the Registrar.