The Learning and Development department in Saint Louis University's Human Resources has many options available for employees seeking professional and personal development.
Learning and Development offers many options for individuals to engage in professional and personal development.
Skillsoft is SLU's online learning platform to support faculty staff and student personal and professional development. Skillsoft has thousands of books, videos, online courses, job-aids, and certification preparation materials on a wide variety of topics. Explore all that Skillsoft has to offer from your desktop or mobile device. Skillsoft is accessible through your mySLU Tools tab.
Learning and Development offers instructor-led training (ILT) sessions for faculty
and staff to grow their skills, while also developing relationships with other members
of the SLU community.
These sessions include:
- Are You Listening?
- Becoming a Champion for Positive Work Culture
- Conflict Mediation
To view current offerings and register, visit the "Instructor-Led Training" page found on Skillsoft.
The Manager's HR Reference Guide is a list of HR resources for managers at SLU to assist in the following areas: hiring; onboarding and developing employees; management; and, supervision of employees.
If you have any questions, contact your assigned HR consultant or the Department of Human Resources at 314-977-2360.
Improve your leadership and speaking skills by joining SLU's Toastmasters Club, Toast of SLU. Toast of SLU is open to current and retired SLU faculty and staff. Members meet the second and fourth Thursday of the month from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the HR Training Room (Wool Center, Room 128). Toast of SLU members give speeches, take on leadership roles in meetings, and offer constructive feedback to other members. Prospective members are always invited to attend meetings as guests.
Within SkillSoft, you may access professional licensing and certification preparation materials.
Certification Preparation Materials
Skillsoft eLearning can help you prepare for professional certification tests and earn credit toward professional certification programs or continuing education units (CEUs). Login to Skillsoft to gain access to materials for the following organizations:
- The Project Management Institute (PMI)
- National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA)
- The Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI)
- The California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)
- International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA)
- EXIN ITIL OSA Certification
- Six Sigma
- CompTIA CEU Program
- Information Systems Security
- Association for Operations Management (APICS)
Skillsoft Access & FAQs
To access Skillsoft, follow these steps:
- Log in to your MySLU account.
- Click the Tools tab then click the Skillsoft icon.
- Utilize the MyPlan, Catalog or Search functions to find courses you are interested in taking.
- When you find a course you would like to take, you can save it to your "MyPlan" for viewing at a later date or you can launch and complete the course.
- You can utilize the "Quick Links - Take a Virtual Tour" in the left hand navigation to learn more.
Content that contains a test and reports as completed are uploaded to Banner Self-Service under "Professional Development" for all trainings that were completed during the previous month.
The preferred internet browser for Windows computers is Internet Explorer. Apple computer users should use Safari.
- From the course, click the dropdown arrow next to "Launch" and choose "View Certificate."
- From the "Learning Transcript" link in the left navigation bar, locate the course, then use the "Action" dropdown box to choose "View Certificate."
Great organizations, divisions, and departments are built on the work of people who are willing to collaborate and cooperate for the common good. Help your team be the best it can be with consultation based on the latest research in group dynamics, development, and effectiveness. Learning and Development can consult on and facilitate team-building workshops and instructor-led training sessions for specific groups.
Examples of workshops and sessions include:
- Becoming a Champion of Positive Work Culture Workshops
- Conflict Mediation Series
- Team Building Toolkit
- Team Dynamics Assessments
Learning and Development is committed to providing educational resources in support of University-wide initiatives, such as leadership development, faculty and staff engagement, and building a positive, respectful culture.
Learning and Development in collaboration with the Center for Workforce and Organizational Development created the Exceptional Leadership Program (ELP). High-potential SLU employees are nominated by their division vice president to take part in the Exceptional Leadership Program to build their knowledge and skills in three areas: leading self, leading others, and leading organizations.
Saint Louis University is dedicated to fostering a respectful, inclusive, and mission-focused environment that energizes, enables and engages the members of our community. The University is committed to gaining feedback from the SLU community biannually through a University Feedback Survey.