Student speakers are selected to address the graduates at both the May and the midyear commencement ceremonies.
Graduating students interested in delivering the student commencement speech at Saint Louis University must meet the following guidelines:
- Have completed — or be on track to complete — the requirements to qualify for graduation from any degree program at Saint Louis University by the ceremony date
- Have a 3.2 GPA or higher
- Be in good disciplinary standing
- Demonstrate notable contributions to the SLU experience and/or significant examples of living SLU’s mission
Applicants must submit:
- A résumé displaying academic achievement, service and campus involvement
- A letter of recommendation from a member of the SLU community
- A draft of the speech (3-5 minutes in length, no more than 650 words)
- The application via Google Form.
The speech should highlight the SLU experience. Ideally, it will include reflections on the mission and values of SLU, especially as a Jesuit institution, and how such values have affected the student as a whole person — mind, body and spirit.
Finalists will be asked to deliver the speech to a selection committee.
The speech will be judged by relevance, impact and quality of content, as well as the speaker’s ability to present and deliver the speech.
The deadline for May 2019 ceremony submissions is Monday, April 8, 2019.