While program-specific information for graduate students will be handled by your individual college, school or degree-granting center, there are resources common to the graduate experience at Saint Louis University.
Graduate Forms and Petitions
While the Office of the University Registrar maintains a list of documents that are commonly needed from all SLU students, the following forms and petitions may be necessary during your graduate education at SLU. The process and approvals needed for these vary. Please consult the process flow chart for graduate education petitions and forms for additional information.
Admission and Status
- Petition for Admission into a Doctoral Program: This form is to be used only by a recipient of a master's degree from Saint Louis University within the past three years.
- Petition to Advance from Probationary to Classified Status: With this form, the probationary student requests recognition of the proposed major field as formally pursuing the degree sought.
Changes or Amendments to Program of Study
- Petition to Amend the Graduate Program: This form is to be used to change your major field of study, change your degree sought within the same major, add or delete a minor field, etc. This form is not to be used to initiate advancement from probationary to classified status or if seeking doctoral admission in the major field upon completion of a master's degree in that field.
- Petition to Pursue a Certificate within a Degree Program: This form is only to be used by the classified student desiring to pursue a certificate concurrent with an advanced degree.
- Petition for Time Period Extension to Complete Degree Requirements: This form is to be used by a master's or doctoral student to petition for an extension of the time period to complete the degree requirements.
Courses and Credits
- Petition for Transfer of Credit: This form is to be used to transfer graduate coursework credits earned elsewhere as a non-degree or transient student.
- Petition for Probationary Admission Enrollment: Students on probationary admission with registration holds may use this form to
petition for permission to enroll in courses. Approval will override holds related to probationary admission only.
- Petition for Advanced Standing of a Doctoral Student: This form is to be used to document completed, advanced coursework taken elsewhere that is applicable to a student's current doctoral program.
- General Petition Form: This form is to be used if none of the above specific petitions apply to your request.
Dates and Deadlines
Find a complete list of upcoming deadlines below, including when to submit applications for degree. Visit the University Registrar website for more information about diplomas and SLU's commencement ceremonies.
Master Forms and Policies
- Application for Degree (online)
- Application for Degree (paper): This form is only to be used during the first two weeks of the semester (during the add/drop period).
- Petition for Late Application for Graduation
- Master's Thesis Proposal, Prospectus
- Non-Thesis Master's Candidacy Procedures
- Thesis Master's Candidacy Procedures
For more information on completing these forms, contact LaToya Cash at email@example.com.
Doctoral Forms and Policies
- Application for Degree
- Notification of Readiness for the Public Oral Presentation of the Ph.D. Dissertation
- Process for Ph.D. Students
- Process for Ed.D. Students
- Doctoral Oral Examination Form
For more information on completing these forms, contact Christine Harper, Ph.D., at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Academic Integrity Policy
- Parental Leave Policy
- Parental Leave Petition
- Proprietary Research Policy
- Policy on Graduate Academic Definitions
Graduate Student Association
The Graduate Student Association is the representative body for graduate students at at the University. The GSA sponsors the annual Graduate Student Research Symposium, which showcases graduate student research. They also aid students by awarding funds to attend conferences, providing publication assistance, and supporting summer research thesis, dissertation and exam preparation.
Emergency Loans for Students
A loan fund provided by the U.S. Steel Foundation may be available to help graduate students meet expenses at the beginning of an academic term, travel to scholarly meetings or receive assistance in emergencies. The maximum amount to be borrowed is $1,200. If repaid in 90 days, the loan is interest free. These funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible students. For more information, contact Angela Rellergert at email@example.com or 314-977-2601.
Annual Graduate Student Review
All master's and doctoral students at Saint Louis University must undergo an annual review of their progress, although a department or program may require reviews on a more frequent basis.
The manner in which the review is conducted is determined by your department or program.
Departments and programs are required to file a copy of their review process with the appropriate graduate dean or director and with the Office of Graduate Education. Copies of individual student reviews are maintained by the department or program office. A summary report of the results of annual reviews of all students in each department and program must be submitted to the appropriate dean or director of the college, school or center.
Information for Graduate Assistants
Students who have graduate assistantships at SLU should look over or complete these required documents:
- Saint Louis University Graduate Assistant Handbook
- Council of Graduate Schools resolution on graduate scholars, fellows, trainees and assistants
- University Health Plan Information
- Regulations Governing Graduate Awards/Appointments
Saint Louis University offers three graduate minor programs, which have requirements of 15-18 credit hours and can be added to any primary graduate degree program. These programs are available to graduate students throughout the University.
SLU has established formatting policies and procedures around the writing of a thesis, project or dissertation. Along with those guidelines, you are also encouraged to become familiar with the following styles: